The topic of sustainability gains more and more importance for current and future employees. Employees are looking for more than profit. To become an employer of choice you should think about integrating sustainability in your organisation and in your employer branding, says our MD Janet. A green brand perception will help you with recruiting and retaining talents. Sustainability might become key around the war of talents in the next coming years.
But how to start with sustainability as employer?
The easiest way is to begin with your work environment and your office. Especially generations Y and Z will appreciate such an approach. In addition, a sustainable work environment will influence the physical and mental health positively, as well as employees’ focus and inspiration. Furthermore energy efficient offices will help to reduce costs.
I have just been reading Nachhaltig leben JETZT von Mimi Sewalski. I was inspired by her tips for changing workplaces into a green and climate neutral environment and how easy that is. I have summarised some of her tips for you. The following lists make no claim of completeness but might be an inspiration for you, too, says Janet. We from DONE! do not have an office but we still have implemented some tips around our digital work to reduce our carbon footprint as company.
What can an employer do?
- switch to green electricity
- time switches for lights at corridors and toilettes
- use recycling materials, for example for stationery and furniture or rent office equipment
- use sustainable cleaning material and bio soaps
- start with waste separation
- place many plants in the office
- switch to sustainable email accounts, for example from Posteo
- offer sustainable mobile phones, for example from Fairphone or Shiftphone
- have sustainable mobile phone contracts, for example with WEtell or Goood
- start an initiative with your team to make your office climate-neutral
What can teams do for more sustainability?
- any email uses energy. For example, one email without attachment already produces 10g CO2. For comparison that is the same carbon footprint as one plastic bag is causing. While working digital, we should be aware of that
- reduce your digital footprint by deleting all unnecessary emails, photos or films or store them on a hard disk
- if possible reduce attachments before sending them
- cancel unwanted newsletters
- use sustainable search engines such as Ecosia or Gexsi. They plant trees for every search query
- use your smartphone via WLAN in the office
- switch of your laptops and computers during lunch and in the evening before leaving
- use air cons, heaters and lights in a sustainable way
- try to avoid plastic packaging while eating breakfast, lunch or dinner at the office
If you have any questions to improve your employer branding, please contact me anytime (firstname.lastname@example.org).